It’s super easy to make low carb cheese sticks at home. You just coat string cheese in a gluten free flour breading and fry until crisp. Of course, the flour you use will need to be keto friendly as well.
Here’s what I use for my coating:
- Almond flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Coconut flour
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
To coat the cheese, it’s dipped in a beaten egg first so the coating has something to stick to. However, you’ll want to double coat each piece for the best results.
The keto cheese sticks are then cooked in hot oil or an air fryer. They can also be put in the oven on a baking sheet, but I find the outside isn’t as crispy.
- 6 pieces string cheese
- 1 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese the powdered kind in a can
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt coarse Kosher salt works best
- Cut string cheese in half along the length.
- Beat 1 egg in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place almond flour, Parmesan cheese, coconut flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt in zipper sandwich bag. Shake bag to blend.
- Dip each piece of mozzarella into the beaten egg and then coat by shaking in the sandwich bag. Freeze for at least one hour.
- Heat oil in small frying pan to at least half inch high. Temperature of oil should be about 325-375°F. Higher temperatures tend to brown too quickly with cheese melting out. Air frying works too using a temperature of about 370 to 400°F for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cook each coated piece of mozzarella in the hot oil until browned on all sides. Enjoy!
- Makes 1 dozen mini sticks. A serving is 3 sticks.
- Salt can be adjusted to taste. I tried 1/4 teaspoon at first, but made another batch with 1/2 teaspoon and it tasted much better.